Hitachi Young Leaders Initiative 2019: My Journey

Plus: tips and tricks on joining international event!



I was honoured to be one of 32 delegates for Hitachi Young Leaders’ Initiative (HYLI) 2019 held by Hitachi Asia Ltd. in InterContinental Singapore from July 8th-12th, 2019. HYLI is Hitachi’s flagship youth program that brings together some of the best and brightest students from eight Asian countries –Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, and Japan – to discuss important issues affecting the regional and global scene together with government and NGO representatives, academics, and business leaders.

HYLI 2019 covers the theme of 'Digital Transformation for a Sustainable Future', where distinguished guests and student delegates discussed how technology can be used to better society within four main themes: Youth Opportunity, Living Environment, Mobility and Well-being for its 15th edition since the first inception in 1996.

I was part of Mobility group where we discussed using Design Thinking method and came up with an idea to solve mobility problem around the region, which includes an integrated mobility planning apps and an egg-shaped sustainable futuristic mode of transportation called egXi.

What makes this program different from many others that I had joined before, is the comprehensiveness of the program, from selection, face-to-face final interview, pre-assignments (with an -s), send-off dinner, and the main program itself. For this article, I’m going to tell my journey all the way from registration to D-day (and its post-report!)

ONLINE REGISTRATION

the gate-opener to the whole journey !!
Throwback to February 2019, when I casually opened Twitter and seen this tweet from International Relations Office of ITB (Institut Teknologi Bandung), I reacted happily, knowing that the program is finally opening their registration. Several months ago when I looked for opportunities, I found information about this program, however the last time they opened the registration is in 2017, so I thought there will be no more HYLI, so I skipped that one.

Now that they started the registration, I hurried to click the link and read more about the requirements. However, I found that they specified only several top universities in Indonesia are able to register. I’m feeling hopeless at first, but then I tried my luck by contacting the Indonesian selection committee via email, appealing myself as a prospective participant that really fits into the program’s objectives and asking whether I could register myself. It took me 3 days to finally receive good news from them stating that I could register myself via the portal.

The registration itself is quite comprehensive, asking details of academic results (and official academic transcripts); English language proficiency (and its proof in form of audio or video record); description of top 3 contribution / service / achievement (and also its evidence); questions of passions, personality, and goals; and statement of personal motivation and SDGs issue that I am passionate about.

FINAL SELECTION



Several weeks after I submitted my registration, I was called by the registration committee and invited me to join the final selection in Jakarta. Fortunately, it is a funded trip, so they arranged the flight ticket and accommodation for me! :D

I was really surprised when they sent me the briefing document for the interview. A very high-level of panellists is waiting for me in Jakarta: Senior Editor of KOMPAS Daily; Head of Jakarta Smart City Management Unit of Communications; Psychiatry at Ciputra Medical Center; Head of Operations Weber Shandwick Indonesia; and…. Mr. Takashi Ikematsu, President Director of PT. Hitachi Asia Indonesia. Oh. My. Gosh.
This interview was held at Hitachi Asia Indonesia Office, Menara BCA 38th Floor, Jl. MH Thamrin No. 1, Jakarta. I met 9 others candidate, including my close friends Nara from Bali, whom I met at CIMB Young ASEAN Leaders 2018. At first I didn’t expect that I will recognize at least one person from 10 candidates, but then when I posted an Instagram Stories in airport, Nara responded and said “See you in Jakarta, fi”.

The interview itself was okay, because I am quite well-prepared this time, and I got compliments from Mr. Ikematsu (the president director !!) for a good introduction speech of myself during first part of the interview.

SEND-OFF DINNER


Several days after the interview, I got a call again from Kak Gea (Weber Shandwick Indonesia, committee of selection) and announcing that I was selected as one of four Indonesian delegates for HYLI 2019, Alhamdulillah :D

Hitachi Indonesia then invited me and my fellow delegates to a send-off dinner in Grand Hyatt Jakarta (with a funded trip again Alhamdulillah), where we meet the top leaders of PT. Hitachi Asia Indonesia, Weber Shandwick Indonesia as the selection committee, and alumni of previous HYLI! For your information, HYLI 2019 is the 15th instalment of the program, so they already had many alumni working in industries. It is very good to meet and engage with some of them during the send-off dinner.

PRE-ASSIGNMENTS

Before the event, we were assigned several tasks to enhance our understanding about the theme of HYLI 2019, which is “Digital Transformation for a Sustainable Future”.

First assignment is review on the challenges of sub-topics from local demographics’ multiple perspectives. We were divided into four groups of subtopics, which is Youth Opportunities, Living Environment, Well-being, and Mobility. I was put into Mobility group, so I need to interview 5 individuals in 5 different key demographics to identify biggest challenges faced by them in terms of mobility. Then, I present my findings with the whole team via an online meeting arranged via Google Hangouts, so that we could hear from other country as well and have an idea on what is the current condition of mobility on the region.

Next, as a country team, we need to create an infographic on the positive and negative aspects of digitalization in Indonesia. We look at how the Fourth Industrial Revolution has transformed and disrupted society, selecting some case studies that showcase the advantages and disadvantages of technology, and then put them into a visual form of A1 size.

Last but not least, also as a country team, we need to prepare a 10 minutes cultural presentation to showcase during the Farewell Dinner part of the program in Singapore later. We then decided to perform Tor-Tor, the traditional dance from North Sumatera.

MAIN EVENT IN SINGAPORE!

It’s finally time to depart to Singapore for the main event!

I’m not going to write details of the event, as they were done really well by the committee with the outcome report of the event available here


And look who’s spotted by camera of CNA (Singaporean news TV) and masuk tipi! (look at the last part of the video)

And now I’m going to share something that isn’t shown on the report: the story behind our final presentation xD (the schedule calls this as Student Group Workshop)


Perhaps this is the best group discussion I’ve ever had in my life, not just because of a very good teammates, but also the venue (which is inside an InterContinental hotel room converted into a mini roundtable room) and the PRESSURE behind them 😊

Right after our site visit in Day 2, we were given 34 hours lockdown inside one of the hotel room to brainstorm and finalize our final presentation. It really feels like I’m living a consulting life, where we need to formulate a comprehensive overview of problems, essential questions, and proposed solutions to a problem in the region using design thinking process, putting all of them in a 20 minutes presentation in front of distinguished panels and invited guests.

The real pressure came in when we realized the panellists for the final part is really, really, high level.
  • Ambassador Ong Keng Yong from S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, who also served as ASEAN Secretary General from 2003-2008.
  • -         Mr. Choi Shing Kwok, Director of ISEAS.
  • -         Ms. Kay Vasey, Chief Connecting Officer of MeshMind.
L    Last but not least,
  • -         Mr. Kosuke Horiuchi, Managing Director of Hitachi Asia Ltd.

Wow.

Plus the pressure of speaking in a very big rooms of hundreds of people and under the very bright spotlight (literally).
 

Yeah, it is not unusual to have a “dynamics” in a team-related activities. We had  arguments, bit of disagreements, but we managed to overcome them and present our solution quite good (miss you guys now )


Shoutout to my fellow mobeggo x egXi teammates: Akak Suhaila from Singapore, Roger from Vietnam, MeiMei from Thailand, Vicky from Malaysia, Ryosuke-san from Japan, Kaung from Myanmar, Kitty from the Philippines, plus our mentors: Ms. Mako (Hitachi Philippines) and Ms. Thiri (Hitachi Myanmar), we will meet again one day, for sure.



Another activity that is not covered inside the report is the cultural presentation. I’m really happy when we performed Tor-Tor (traditional dance from North Sumatera), all fellow delegates are coming up to the stage and dance together with us :D


Beside activities, I am really grateful that Hitachi is fulfilling their sustainability goals right in this event:  providing us with tumbler, food container, reusable utensils, and a name badge from processed banana leaves which is quite unique and nice!


All in all, I am very grateful for this chance to join Hitachi Young Leaders Initiative 2019. Appreciation to Hitachi and all supporting parts (including Weber Shandwick Indonesia and Global Initiatives) for the awesome journey, and 32 fellow delegates from 8 countries in the region, now I’m happy to called them families.

BONUS: TIPS AND TRICKS

This is not my first international program, but I got many lessons learned unique from HYLI 2019. This includes some tips and tricks on applying for opportunities.

First, try to appeal yourself if you didn’t meet the criteria given. As I wrote earlier, my rewarding journey of HYLI 2019 starts because I appeal to the committee. The most common issue I encountered with when looking for opportunities is list of universities invited to the selection. This is why your appeal is really crucial when you tried to apply if you’re out of the invited universities (or not a student of top universities in your respective country).

However, you need to ensure that yourself is really worth the appeal; convince them why you are a really good candidate to fit the criteria and objectives of the event, give some explanation about your past activities and track record that goes in line with the theme of the event. But it doesn’t mean that your appeal will always work, I also faced some rejection when I contacted other events’ organizer about the criteria. But it’s really worth the try, especially when it is an international event, it might be your lucky chance!

Next is to prepare your CV, portfolio, and track record as soon as possible. I am quite lucky because main theme of HYLI 2019 is related quite well with some events that I joined previously, so since I had the experience learning and working on the theme, I could tell and relate them on my application as delegates of HYLI 2019. And this is also applicable to your future jobs, or scholarships, or any other future events.

Remember, creating a good track record of yourself is never an instant one; you need to plan them accordingly in advance, doing good in every activities that you joined, and promoting them well through your own social media and stories platform (writing in newspaper’s citizen journalism section and personal blog, for instance).

Last but not least, is to look and browse for any youth opportunities available out there in the internet. Again, I’m not an ITB students, but I took advantage from their tons of information on social media, and boom, I found HYLI 2019 promotion on Twitter.

If you have found one but it’s already in the past, tried to mark the typical time of registration on your calendar, then search for its information later in that month. For instance, Hitachi Young Leaders Initiative is a bi-annual event, and in 2019 the registration started in February. So, if you’re interested in applying for next HYLI, mark them on your calendar and notes, then remind yourself to check again on the program in February 2021.

ANOTHER BONUS:


The story behind this meme:

So we were visiting Deloitte Future of Mobility Solutions Centre in Day 2 of the program, and we are challenged to a mini-game where we were given a specific demographics, then, as a consultant, create a visual storyline about their pain points of mobility and provide ideas to help government working on mobility issues for that respective problems. We need to have a 2 minutes pitch explaining that storyline, and our group got “Students” as our focus.

Courtesy of many workshops of XL Future Leaders back in my country, where lots of my friends were using super creative ways of presenting their ideas, like dramas, songs, and dances, I decided to make the pitching session a bit interesting: 

I will act as a student who woke up very late and shocked because an exam is coming in 30 minutes and he don’t know what’s the fastest way to get into his campus.

And that is where the meme comes from. LOL

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

DARUSSALAM: SEJARAH DAN REFLEKSI MENUJU KEMAJUAN BANGSA

MASTER'S STUDY PREPARATION KIT!

STEP Youth Regional Affairs Dialogue 2019 #throwback